ENGINE REPLACEMENT COSTS FOR GT

2004 Subaru Liberty

2004 Subaru Liberty 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

Hi, we have been quoted $9640 to replace bottom end and repair heads due to main bearing problem. This is the total cost including labour. Does this sound correct as it is a lot of money to be spending on a car that has done less than 100,000 kms. Thanks for your help.
Kirsten33

Hi kirsten33. Welcome to the forum. Expensive cars are built with expensive parts, ... And engine rebuilds for them can run as high as $4000.00. That's a bunch. Regular cars can have their engines removed, sent to an engine rebuilding specialist, reinstalled, and completed with all the trimmings like new engine mounts, air filter, etc, for $2500.00 to $3000.00. Unless there's something unusual or special about your engine, the price you were quoted should cover rebuilding your entire engine three times.

To put things in perspective, I recently had my students rebuild the V-6 engine for a Grand Caravan I bought with a lower bearing problem. Cost for a reground crankshaft, piston rings, all the gaskets, and all new bearings was less than $300.00 including oil and filter. To totally rebuild the V-8 engine for my 1972 Dodge muscle car cost less than $400.00 for parts. Of course those costs didn't include labor, but you get the idea. You need to get a second estimate for your engine.