TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY REMOVAL

1998 Subaru Legacy

1998 Subaru Legacy 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual

I am attempting to remove both tail light assemblies from my car without destroying them. I have removed the nuts from 4 studs on each assembly, can locate no more, however, the assembly still will not break loose.

Am I missing one or more studs/screws somewhere? What is the standard procedure for removing one of these assemblies?

Is there any " tricks" to employ? I am thinking that the rubber gasket may be " baked" on. I have tried tapping the studs lightly (did not want to break the plastic housing) but it did not come free.
Mike Frew

Hi Mike Frew,

Thank you for the donation.

There are 2 types of gaskets used.

One is the stick on type sealant which requires some force to slowly get the sealant to come off.

The other type is the sponge-like gasket type and it should be easy to come off.

Yours seems to be the sealant type and you would have to slowly force one side out and use a scraper to cut the sealant to remove.