MY TRANSMISSION LIGHT ON DASH IS BLINKIN

1998 Subaru Legacy

1998 Subaru Legacy 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

hi,
my 1998 subaru transmission light on the inside on dash panel will blink about 16 times anf then cut off and will not come on again until I start the car. The light on dash has on it that it is the trans oil temp. Can you tell me what is wrong with trans or car and is this something I should be worried about, and if so can I fix this myself and how do I go about doing this.
the car will run fine and I have not noticed no malfunctioning with the transmission yet. Thank you.
Daviddlw1

According to Mitchell 16 flashes is a code for the Torque Control Cut Signal. You will need a Meter to do the diagnostic procedure for this particular code, Let me know if you have one and I can post the procedure for you

Jack42
No I do not have a meter but if I need to have a meter, where can I buy one (like auto zone, walmart)? Or can one of the chain auto stores do the dinostic check like auto zone. Thanks

Daviddlw1
Yes, it can be scanned with a hand held scan tool, but it will have to be able to do the trans controller, so you may have to go to a shop rather than just Autozone. Once you verify the codes the diagnostic procedure will still have to be done, this may not be the one you want to learn on

Jack42
I had the diagnostic procedure done on the blinking tranmission light and it read that it was a faulty solinoid. And my check engine light was on also and it read that it was a cam shaft sensor. My question is can you tell me where these items are found on my car so I can chage them out myself. I know the trans solinoid maybe would have to be on the transmission somewhere but can you pin the exact location where and maybe send a picture of the solinoid and cam shaft sensor so I can recognize the items. Thanks for your help.

Daviddlw1
There are over a half dozen solenoids inside the trans.I would honestly leave the trans part of this to a shop that does thatsort of thing, it may require going in deep and there are alot of parts in an automatic trans. The cam sensor is on the drivers side front of the engine, my software doesnt give a good pic of its location but it looks like this.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_camanglesensor1_1.jpg

Jack42
Thank you for the picture of the cam shaft sensor to show where it is located.
I thought the trans solenoid would be on the outside somewher not on the inside of the transmission. I will not open a transmission myself to work on it cause there are alot of parts in there. I wanted to ask one more question about the solenoid on my transmission. Since my transmission seems to have nothing wrong with it, it chages gears right and it does not slip or anything. If I keep driving this car what will happen to the transmission? Will it stop working at some point, and if so do you know how long it may be before trans stop or damaged? Any guest would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Daviddlw1
If the computer sees a problem now, it will only get worse or cause damage if left unfixed.I would have it taken care of now, it will be alot cheaper than having the trans rebuilt due to damage from not fixing it. Things like this are why the on-board diagnostics are so nice, they can see problems early so they can be addressed before something big fails

Jack42
I will take it to my local transshop tomorrow to have it looked at.
Can you tell me if a crank position sensor and a cam sensor the same thing. I was looking for a cam sensor on ebay to buy for the subaru but I did not see a cam sensor ebay had crank position sensors for sell and they looked like the one in my car and on the picture you sent me. I was wondering if they are the same so I can buy it. Thanks for all your valuable information it has saved me alot of money over the time I have been using your site. Thanks

Daviddlw1
I would not think they were the same sensor.

Jack42