CYLINDER HEAD

1992 Subaru Legacy

1992 Subaru Legacy 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

I was changing the spark plugs and accidentely dropped a small screw down the spark plug hole #1 Cyl. Of course I haven't attempted to even start the car since I'm waiting to get a flexible magnet per Fed X. My question is in case I cannot get the screw out this way (Probing around through the spark plug opening) is it possible to take off the Right Cylinder
Head and put it back on without having to do any adjusting etc. To the lifters, valves, etc? I've been reading through my Chiltons manual for this auto on how to remove and install it, and so far I'll I can tell that I would need to replace is the manifold, valve cover, and the cylinder head gaskets. Is this correct?
Henryh1

HI there.
Thank you for the donation,

You will need to have the head re surfaced as Subaru's need a super clean and flat surface to seal on there steel gaskets. I would be checking the age of the engine timing belt as well, as this will have to be removed, apart from this you will just have to replace the manifold gaskets and I would replace the cam seals as well, but hopefully you will be able to " fish out" the screw and avoid any major surgery.

Good luck,

Mhpautos