COOLANT SMELL AFTER REPLACING WATER PU

2002 Subaru Forester

Engine problem
2002 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

In mid December, my temp gauge shot up all the way. My mechanic said it was the water pump. After it was fixed, I smelled a strong coolant smell. They checked it over and said everything was fine. Three weeks later, my temp gauge shot up again. This time, it was the radiator hoses that needed to replaced, which they said were fine when they replaced the water pump. I went two days after the second repair with no coolant smell -- but now it's back. Both my husband and my brother looked for and couldn't find any source of a leak, but could smell it as well. Until now, my car has been very reliable.

1) What could the coolant smell be?
2) Should I continue to trust my mechanic or are they missing things they shouldn't be missing?
CindiF

Hi there,

I would be concerned that the mechanic is not doing all he could to repair you car. Normal practice is to pressure test the cooling system after a repair. As this will show up and further leaks, If the hose was defective enough to fail shortly after the repair of the water pump this should have been pick up. I would be getting a pressure test on the system now, this will show up any external leaks that you can smell. I would find a new mechanic if you are not happy.

Mhpautos
U described the exact same problem that I am having, and it sounds like the head gaskets. 27000 miles my head gaskets went and I have never heard this happening with the competition(Toyota / Honda) in relevance to the low mileage.

I was the biggest subaru fan, but between the piston slapping " apparently it is normal, wind noise from the mirrors " another normal" and head gaskets, I am thinking of dropping the brand all together. If anyone can find me anywhere on the forums where a head gasket went on a toyota or honda with 27000 miles, I will take my statement back, but I doubt they will.I couldn't!

Avellino1
Feel free to add 2003's to the list also.

And PS. Time to change ur mechanic

Avellino1