ENGINE THUDS ON START UP, COLD AND HOT

2005 Skoda Octavia

2005 Skoda Octavia 4 cyl Manual

Hi,
My problem is that my engine thuds quite audibly on start up on both hot and cold conditions. I have had the car for 89 months and have had to get the sub mount bolt replaced twice so far. I assume this has something to do with it, but why would the mount bolts keep snapping- something mis-aligned?

So if you could point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative,

regards,

Danny
Dantomlom

Hello. Thanks for the donation. Much appreciated

has the vehicle ever been in an accident? Have it checked for frame damage?

Dave H
As far as I can tell it's accident free, but thats not to say it is! The invoices that came with the car indicate a clutch replacement, I wonder if that could be causing any problems. As for the frame damage I'll have ti get a garage to look at it. Athough I had thae car into Skoda for the snapped bolt and they did a " health check"!

Many thanks

danny

Dantomlom
Hey.

Unless there are obvious signs of frame damage whilst under the vehicle a tech would not pick up on this during a health check .. he is looking at brake wear/brake lines/fuel lines/exhaust etc. etc. .. I'm presuming they checked all motor and gearbox mounts when they replaced the bolts, so they should be good, also on the subframe bolts there are rubber mounts, they should have checked/replaced these, the subframe is the main support for the engine, so there shoud be absolutely no movement once it is bolted up to the frame, if the frame was damaged/twsted out of shape it would be difficult to replace the bolts, so a tech would notice this when doing the repair, I would be checking the engine/gearbox mounts and the subframe mountings are not worn alllowing it to move under stress ! of course the tech who did the first bolt replacement may have missed a worn mounting which then caused the second bolt to break also, hopefully now the repair has been completed succesfully .. now you have had the bolt replaced for a second time, does the vehicle still clunk/bang on start up, if so, this tends to point to the engine "moving" rather than the frame, if the frame was moving I would expect a "clunk/bang" whilst the vehicle was actually moving !

Hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1101.png

Dave H