SWAY BARS

2003 Saturn Vue

Steering problem
2003 Saturn Vue 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I am being told my sway bar linkages in the front need to be replaced - what would be the symptom that it needs replacement and what would be an approximate cost
Wcorrig

The best way to check them is to go to the end of the sway bar where the link is and grab the bar and move it see if there is any play in the link or if u can hear it click it should be tight. Also grab the middle of the link it should move freely side to side they get frozen in place where there is salt and snow. Do that on both sides that is the best way to check them. As far as price to replace them are we talking about front or rear?
Because checking them is the same front or back. Let me know.

The steering wheel makes noise like a rubbing sound when you turn the wheel - I am told that the sway bar linkages in the front need replacement - both sides - I have an estimate of $261 for both

Wcorrig
If ur not moving ur vechile and ur turning the wheel and u hear rubber rubbing sound it's probably the boot at the base of ur steering column inside ur vechile needs lube between the boot and the shaft.U can turn the while holding the boot and see if u can feel the noise if the noise changes then lube that boot up. With some silcone clear paste. On ur sway bar link the links are 111 for both links and labor is 1.1hrs times what ever shop labor is usually 80-100.