MY WON'T STOP OVERHEATING

2002 Saturn SL2

Engine Cooling problem
2002 Saturn SL2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 141196 miles

I've had my 2002 Saturn for about 7 years now and I'm the second owner (only 7,000 miles on it when I got it).
There was a problem with the AC clutch which I had replaced about two years ago, but then about a year ago the same problem occurred. Not having the $700 to get it fixed, I've been driving " as-is" with no problems. I'm not sure if that's related to what I'm about to tell you.
About 3 weeks ago, my " Low Coolant" light has been coming on every time I start my car. It eventually got to the point where I was putting antifreeze and/or water in every day. I took it in to a mechanic and they couldn't find a leak, so they put some stop leak in it and said to come back if the problem continued. It did. The light kept coming on and I had to keep filling it with water. A few days later I was on the highway and my car began to overheat, by the time I got off an exit and to a gas station it was red lining. I waited for it to cool down and then filled it back up with water. 3 miles down the highway and it overheated again. Bone dry. I filled it up again & dropped it off at the mechanic.
They said that the water would overheat & bubble out of the reservoir. They replaced the water pump and returned it. It was fine for a day, but then after starting the car, the coolant light came on, and when I stopped, antifreeze was dripping out.
Back to the mechanic, they replaced the thermostat and radiator and I got it back.
On the way to work today, it overheated again.
What else could the problem be?
Kimbowie

U ethier have a leak somewhere or ur car is overheating does ur fan come on at all ever I think u ethier have a bad cooling fan motor or bad coolant temp sensor thats what u need to have checked let me know what u find.
Louie

You could still very well have a leak and your radiator fan could be bad. (As mentioned in previous post) If you take your car back in to get your car checked again. Make sure that whatever shop you take it into uses a Coolant system pressure tester. Because small leaks are next to impossible to find without it. What that does is it presurizes your entire coolant system simulating the pressure it builds when the car heats up and checks to see if it maintains the recomended pressure. They can also check to see if your radiator cap and/or resivor cap as well. Giving you a more accurate diagnosis.

Ajvandyke
Finally got it fixed (after a month in the shop)

Your right about the fan not coming on. One of the times I took it in, they suggested having the a/c on at all time to trigger the coolant fan to run, as well. That didn't work, though.

They took the engine apart and found that the problem was a warped head gasket.

Prior to this, the water pump, thermostat, and radiator have been replaced.

The car runs perfect now.

Thanks for your input!

Kimbowie
Glad to hear u got everything figured out no more overheating huh?Ur head gasket probably got warped from all that overheating not a common thing to happen on those cars. Also donations and feedback greatly appreachiated.
Louie