I GOT IT RIGHT LOUIE

1998 Saturn SL1

1998 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 102232 miles

Thanks again for your prompt reply. I checked my wire configuration going into my ignition coil and it's right according to Louie's spec's. To answer Louie's question, yes the car was running before I changed the plugs (pre-gaped at.040, I doubled checked) but it was running really rough (the reason I changed plugs, used NGX BKR4ESA-11, same ones as before). Before the plug change had to pump the pedal to give it gas and get it running. The engine would finally turn over with a big puff of blue smoke coming from the tail pipe. Once it warmed up it ran OK. A mechanic friend said it might be engine sensor. Would appreciate any feedback you might have on my problem. Thanks, Saturnrings
Satrunrings

Glad u got ur wires right now. So u have to hold ur foot to the floor to start it now and when it starts it blows out a bunch of smoke?Well when u hold ur foot to the floor to start it thats called clear flood mode and what that does is turn off the injectors so no fuel squirts in the cyclinders so u can start a flooded engine. As far as the sensor goes ur buddy is probably talking about the coolant temp sesor which is pretty common to go out on those cars. Those sensors that screw into the head below where the upper radiiator hose goes on the tip that goes into the coolant are made of plastic and crack then coolant gets into them and shorts them out. So when the car is cold unplug that sensor it has two wires going to it its small u just squeese the connector and it should release. Now look at the connector with a flash light if its green its corroded and has to be cleaned somehow or replaced. Then un screw the sensor see if its cracked becareful though u will lose coolant when u unscrew the sensor. They usually crack when they go bad. So if its crack just replace it. There under 20 so if u just want to replace it while its out just because its a cheap what if and sounds like what might be causing ur problem. Well let me know how it goes glad I could help.
Louie