CAR STOPS RUNNING.

1992 Saturn SL1

1992 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

It is winter here in IL and my 18 year old step-son just bought a 1992 Saturn SL on his own. The car starts up, runs for 5 to 10 minutes and then dies. If you let it set for a while it will do the same again. When it runs he says it runs fine. I did notice a lot of black suit in the tail pipe.

Your thoughts?
Talk2meYou

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure it will show if the fuel pump is on its way out. Or Don't wait do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Thanks for the input. I will share this Chris. He is so bummed out because his car is not running. I will pass your wisdom on.

Wishing you well,

Mike

Talk2meYou