CHARGING SYSTEM

1997 Saturn SC2

1997 Saturn SC2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Hey Guys,
I was leaving home one day and I tried to start my car, and it would not start. So I immediately pulled up my buddy's car and tried to jump start it. Well in the process of jump starting smoke appeared form the side where my alternator is located. So I pulled out my volt meter checked the voltage and I got a reading of 12. So I turned the car back on and checked it and I got a reading of about 11.32. Which is when I recognized that my car was running of the battery. So then I jacked the car up. I saw my fusible link was burned up so I replaced the fusible link and my battery, started my car and checked battery voltage and it read 12.50. Which told me I was still running of the battery. So I changed my alternator started my car, checked battery voltage and got a reading of 11.59. Which still tells me im running off the battery. So now im stuck trying to figure out why the battery is not being charged. The belt is fine, pulleys are fine, battery connections are fine, car starts fine. Im totally stumped on what to do next.
Airplane mechanic

Did u have the new alternator tested before u put it in or ur old one u took tested?Also have u tested all ur fuses inside and out and make sure u have power on both sides of the fuses. Let me know.

I did not get either alternators checked, but I checked all of the fuses in the main fuse box and they are all still ok.

Airplane mechanic

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_1997_sc2_alternator_wire_diagram_1.jpg

heres a wire diagram for ur charging system u ethier have a bad new alternator or a bad wire or connection some where.make sure u have battery voltage to the back of ur alternator of ur fuse link.let me know what u find.