TEMP & LEVEL LIGHT FLASHING

Saturn Other

My 1994 Saturn SW2 160K miles on body 70K miles on replace engine & trans temp and level light is flashing the mechanic just replaced the water pump after it was leaking and I'm going back in for them to troubleshoot in a day or so. Any ideas why the light is flashing even with the new water pump, antifreeze full and a recent new radiator? The temp gauge is just above cold and it is 60 degrees out. What else should be checked? Is there a reset switch?
Grunthaner

The light flashes for two reasons.
First is the coolant level is low or the level switch is bad.
Second is a disparity in the readings between the coolant temperature sensor and the transmission temperature sensor. Most times tho the light stays on steady when this happens.

Try jumpering the terminals in the connector and seeing if the light goes out. If it does the switch is either bad or is gunked up. You can try removing the coolant tank and cleaning it thoroughly. Sometimes that is all it takes to free up that float switch.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Peppermrj
How do I " Try jumpering the terminals in the connector and seeing if the light goes out.&Quot; Can you give me more detials in doing that?
Thanks Linda

Grunthaner
" jumpering" means you disconnect the wire connector at the sensor, and use a piece of wire, or for that matter something like a paper clip, to jump the two pins on the connector (the wires going to the car, not the sensor). That should simulate the sensor saying " okay, I'm wet, turn the light off". If indeed it turns the light off, then probably the sensor is just bad or stuck.

Peppermrj
Well my mechanic replaced the sensor today he reset the computer and the lights are flashing again. What next? He also cleaned out the over fill container, or coolant tank and thought perhaps replacing it may help but I don’t see how that would help unless there is a switch or valve in it. He said he looked at that container and there was no switch on it but didn’t you say there was a float switch? Where is the float switch and how do I test or replace it? Is there a valve or senor in the over flow container? His other suggestion was go to the dealer. I would rather not go to the dealer not because they are so steep. Any other ideas? I’m afraid to go too far with the car with the light on.

Grunthaner
There is a float switch in the colant tank. Look at the wires that run to the bottom of it. What sensor did you have replaced?

Peppermrj
It was the temp sensor. It is located on the block just below the twin cam top piece (sorry I don't know if they call that the head on that type of engine.
Linda

Grunthaner
I removed it and nothing appears connected to coolant tank but 2 hoses. I do not see a switch in it or on it. Could there be a non visiable switch in the tank?
Thanks Linda

Grunthaner
You have got me second guessing myself. I went to an online saturn dealer and looked up the coolant resevior for your car and also for my 96. They are the same part.

There should be a float switch inside the tank. It is not really visible thru the cap opening. You should be able to see where the electrical connectin protrudes out from the tank. If you were facing the tank installed from the front of the car it is in the right rear bottom of the tank.

Peppermrj
Hi, I went to the Saturn dealer this afternoon to buy a new coolant tank and low and behold there is a float sensor in the tank but it is not visible other than the terminal connections when you flip it over. I got home after the 1hr drive to the dealers and was thinking on my way home “wouldn’t it be nice if the mechanic’s assistant forgot to connect the power to the switch?” Well after using a turkey baster to remove most of the antifreeze I removed the windshield fluid tank and pulled the antifreeze container up being careful not to disconnect too many hoses and “Wa-La” the connector wasn’t connected. Too bad I didn’t see that last night when I pulled it up a bit to look inside. I connected it and added more antifreeze and started the engine. The light is off. And I am so happy that I went out and bought a Saturn repair manual by Haynes (all the store had). Does anyone know where I can get a CD or DVD of the 94 SW2?

Thanks for all your help especially peppermrj.
Best wishes,
Linda

Grunthaner
Glad to hear you found the culprit. : D
Take the tank back.
Your manual is a good investment. Saturns are easy to maintain just as long as you always check the oil. : Shock: You can sometimes get cds or even a factory service manual on e-bay for a decent price.

8)

Peppermrj
Page 1 of 2