95 SL1 ERATIC IDLE

1995 Saturn Other

My 95 SL1 has 118000 miles on it and when I am sitting at a stop light it starts idling up and down. This usually only happens when its at normal operating temperature. Runs great when its cold. It also looses power and struggles to take off after its warmed up like the clutch is slipping but I've had that checked. I've also replaced the timing chain & gears, Crank Position Sensor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, coil pack, catalytic converter. Other than that the car runs great and has a lot of spunk once its moving. Can you please help?
Lilhrtbrkngrl

Hey lilhrtbrkngrl,

The coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) are known problems on the ealier Sattys. The had plastic tips that crack. The new design from saturn has an all brass tip. When the fail the will cause an erratic idle, poor fuel economy, hard starting and more.

Not very expensive, under $20.00 from saturn. Not much harder to install than a sparkplug either. Here is a link discussing it in depth.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/saturn-sc-1-1995-vt4925.html?highlight=wolfman

Good luck and let us know. :)
peppermrj

Peppermrj