ANTI THEFT SYSTEM DISABLING

2001 Saturn L200

2001 Saturn L200 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

I bought this Saturn L200 used for cash. It was originally designed to be accessed using a key fob remote or a key in the driver door only.

A fob did not come with it and I did not care.

Unfortunately, some sort of fault has occurred in the system and as I drive down the road, the horn will start to beep. Eventually it will shut off, but where there is one electrical gremlin there are often more. And I fear that one day the thing may shut off altogether.

I do not want to get a fob or fix this system. It is not worth it in a car this old.

I want to bypass or disable the antitheft system permanently.

I called the Saturn Dealer and they want to repair it (naturally) and sell me a fob etc. I asked them to bypass or disable it and they refused stating it was " Saturn's policy " not to disable this system.

I went through this with another GM product a while back and the repair was going to be in excess of $1500. I found someone to bypass it, but even that cost me $500.

There has to be an easier way! It would seem to me there should be a way to disable the system so you can work on the car and not have it go off? Does anyone know how to do that?
Elanan55

I got hold of a Theft and Security after market installer and apparently the geniuses at GM have incorporated the Module for the antyitheft system such that it cannot be bypassed.

They believe that the Oxygen Sensor is also run through the module so that if you disconnect it, you get a Check Engine Light and in NY the car will not pass inspection.

Furthermore, only a Dealer has the part and Only a Dealer can program it to work with the car it is installed in.

The Aftermarket guys said that the car going down the road and suddenly beeping and flashing was a sure sign this module was going bad.

The good news is it will not shut off the car while the car is running. I do not know if it will interfere with the car starting but from what he said, it was not involved in the fuel delivery system so should not.

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Elanan55