TIMING BELT/CHAIN

2005 Saturn Ion

2005 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

I've looked through my handbook on my Saturn, and have found no information on when to change the timing belt/chain. Can you help?
Superbuyr1

Theres not maintance for that u have a chain and u only have to service it when there's a problem with it. So keep ur oil changed regulary and it will last a long time.

Thanks for your response about my Saturn -- so far it's been an awesome little car. The car just turned 100,000 miles, and other than 2 tires and oil changes, we've not had to do any work on it.

By " having trouble with the timing chain" do you mean it can break, or what? We had a car several years ago where it broke and did a bunch of major engine damage, and I really don't want that to happen again if I can prevent it. Do timing chains have an average life span, or do they sometimes just break or not?

Thanks!

Superbuyr1
I mean if the chain were to break then u would have to adress the problem. But for ur yr there are no problems that I know the chain letting loose. What I was talking about was if the chain starting making noise then u would want to change it. As far as a life span for chain couldnt really put one on it. But I have seen them go over 200,000 miles in customers cars that have come in. Hope this helps put u more at ease about ur chain.