COOLANT LEAK

1997 SAAB 900

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Saab 900 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 121000 miles

Hello there,

I recently had an oil change and right afterward, both coolant and oil have been leaking.

I noticed that the mechanic filled the coolant tank right up to the cap. Is this right? Could the coolant just be overflowing to the ground because it is too full? There is a big puddle on the ground every morning but the coolant tank is stiil filled way high.

Also, oil is leaking from a bolt (?) On the oil pan (?).

I'm filling it with a little under half a quart a day when I drive it to keep the level up.

If I don't drive it, the oil leak is very small, if at all. If I don't drive it, the oil level stays within the normal range.

Do I have to change the oil pan?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Jetspawn

Hi there,

I would say that the drain plug may be leaking, it has a seal washer that should be replaced with each oil change, it may not have been changed. As for the coolant leak, the level should be at the at a point about 1/2 way between the high and low marks with the engine cold, this will allow for expansion as the coolant heats up.

Mhpautos
Thanks for your reply. I also heard that if you tighten the bolt too much that you can crack the oil pan and require a new one. Hopefully the answer will be the less costly one.

Jetspawn
Hi there,

Not so much crack the pan but strip the thread, but this can easily be re tapped over size for a quick and simple repair.

Mark

Mhpautos
Thanks, Mark!

Jetspawn