REPAIR COST OF FUEL PUMP AND TIMING BELT.

1999 SAAB 9-5

1999 Saab 9-5 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 137000 miles

I am new to this site; I recently brought a 1999 Saab 95 that had 135,000 miles on it. My mechanic suggested I change the timing belt; it cost $1100 to do so. Also the catalytic converter went out, I got a temporary replacement for $300. Now my fuel pump is out, to repair it I'm told will cost about $700; keep in mind I only paid $3000 for it about three months ago. Am I'm being taken for a ride by my mechanic, should I count my loses and get rid of the car or repair the fuel pump? Thanks

Dennis
Dennissheffield

Dennis,
You're getting run up by your mechanic. A Delphi fuel pump is only 125.00 for the parts so at most it should be 1.5 hours labor to do the job. Saabs aren't anything special to work on, with somethings they are easier. I suggest you find another mechanic. Research and buy the parts online yourself. then you aren't paying the markup for parts for the shop lays on you.
http://www.thepartsbin.com

Yojg