HEAD GASKET?

1998 Rover 2 Series

Heater problem
1998 Rover 2 Series V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 60k miles

Hello, I have a Rover 216 and it has done 60k miles, and it is not in as good condition as it could be but has been driving okay since I bought it.

There is a problem with the water though, because the car gets through it very quickly (needs topping up every week). And recently the heater has not been working, does not blow at all on 1 and 2 settings but even on 3 and 4 settings will not heat up.

I read on a few sites that these are signs of the head gasket failing. Is this true? And what should I do? I don't know a lot about cars and don't wat to be taken for a ride, as it were, by a mechanic.

Many thanks for any help.
Chris'girl

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

The first thing you have to do is get a cooling system pressure test done, this will locate any external coolant leaks, if you have a head problem some of the signs are white exhaust, misfiring, rough idle, coolant in the oil (oil is coffee coloured) bubbles in the radiator, have these check first.

Mhpautos