HEATER ONLY COLD AIR

1998 Renault Scenic

1998 Renault Scenic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 94,000 miles

HI, WHY IS MY 1998 SCENIC ONLY BLOWING COLD AIR, THERMOSTAT IS OK, ENGINE DOES NOT OVERHEAT, OR LOOSE COOLANT, IS IT THE HEATER MATRIX BLOCKED, IF SO CAN WE CLEAN IT WITH SOMETHING, CABLES AND CONTROLS SEEM TO WORK OK, BUT HOW CAN WE BE SURE THE CABLES ARE ADJUSTED CORRECTLY--- CAN ANYBODY PLEASE -- HELP --- BEFORE THE WINTER SETS IN JIM

Thanks Renaultman-- I had already checked on the cogs -they where ok --what it was a head gasket had gone at sometime in it" s life and oil had got into the cooling system -- so I fitted a new h/gasket ( just incase ) flushed out the cooling system a couple of times -- the matrix in the whole cooling system was all bunged up - and " hey presto" it all works fine heater is now ok --- but I will mention this --when I first noticed the heater did not work -- I took out the ash tray and the heater controls without disconnecting tthe cables and found one of the cables ( internal piano wire ) had bent back on its self -i rectified this and thought that was the problem --- but it was not --but this does happen on the renault so I thought you may like to know this little quirk----thanks for all your help ---JIM
Jamesrawlinson

I had the same problem on a Scenic of mine. On the right hand side of the centre console just where your left knee is ( asssuming a right hand drive car), behind the trim is a small white cog. This cog is connected to the flap which regulates the air from the heater matrix. On my Scenic the cog had slipped off and was no longer making contact with the cog which is driven via a flexcable by the Hot/Cold control knob. I nearly froze on a 2 hour drive in the hills in winter a couple of years ago because of this! I just pushed it back on and meshed it with the other cog as far as I can remember and it hasn't given trouble since. Hope this is of some help.

Renaultboy