AUTO TRANS SLIPPING

1996 Renault R19

1996 Renault R19 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Hi all!
I have just bought a lovely '96 R19.
The transmission is playing up and rather than take it to an expensive workshop, I am hoping I might find some answers here.
These are the symptoms:
In drive position there is a small delay until engine revs come up then it grabs suddenly. Then at about 10kph it seems to lose drive. If I gently increase revs it continues to slip. If I give it heaps of throttle it engages again. Throttle position seems to effect performance.
It only mis behaves in 1st and 2nd. 3rd and 4th are fine.
Also, can anyone tell me the correct way to check trans fluid level?

Please help. I have a feeling it is not a major problem but even if it is, it will give me an idea what to do next.

Thanks!
Turpser

Hello .. thanks for the donation ... much appreciated

I suspect the TCC (torque convertor clutch) may be the problem, it is worn and needs replacing ..if there is no dipstick to check the trans fluid level there will be a drain plug and a filler plug located on the transmission you will need to remove the filler plug (the higher of the 2)and check that fluid trickles out of the hole .. if it does not, the fluid is low and needs topping up untill you get a steady flow running from the filler hole !! we do not have any diagrams for this vehicle but your local library or autopart's store will be able to supply a repair manual for the vehicle !

hope this helps ... let me know if you need any more information

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_796.png

Dave H