MODELS MY TRAFFIC DIES AFTER

1985 Renault Other

1985 Other Renault Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

Hi I have a 1985 Renault traffic t1000 campervan.
It has had an in line fuel filter, new distributer, rotor arm, ht leads and plugs, carb cleaned, jets cleaned. The previous owner had this done a few months ago but the problem is still there- It dies after about 20 mins and will not fire up until it has cooled down. The engine turns over fine it just won't fire just like it has been imobilised. The death is pretty instant and instant to come back on. The van starts first time from cold and only has the above problem. At first it was thought it may be fuel starvation but obviously this is not the case as all the above work has been carried out and I have taken the filter off when it has died to check the pump is delivering. A friend suggested it may be the coil so I have purchased one in the hope that this is the solution. What would you suggest
Johnbob

My software is pretty limited on Renaults. It sounds like it may be something like the ignition controller or the module/pickup coil in the distributor to shut down when hot, then cool off and work. Have you checked for spark when it dies to see if that is indeed wha is missing?

Jack42
Not yet as I daren't drive it too far as I keep having to tow the thing back. I don't seem to be able to get it hot enough without driving it. Shall I go ahead and replace the coil?

Johnbob
You could try it, but I think the problem may be elsewhere

Jack42