RUSTY BRAKE ROTORS

1999 Porsche 911

Brakes problem
1999 Porsche 911 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 78000 miles

Just purchased this car, it sat for a year in sunny San Diego outside under an awning. The rotors have a visible coating of rust. The car still stops evenly and without noise. After about 30 miles (to get it home) the rust has become lighter. The brake wear indicator light stays on.

I am trying to determine how much work is warranted. I could just take it to a shop and have all replaced, but I prefer to make things work that I have.

Is it worthwhile to have these rotors turned just slightly to get the rust layer removed ? or can I use some emery cloth ? or replace them all together ? I assume I need new pads or can I inspect, clean and measure ? If I replace, are OEM pads the best or go with or the ceramic, kevlar or organic (I like quiet, responsive, and minimum dusty brakes) -- see attached pictures.

This is a road car/daily driver no track work - I am over 50 and my hard driving days are over....
thank you in advance for your response !

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/422707_Porsche00000_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/422707_Porsche00001_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/422707_Porsche00002_1.jpg

Zincman

The only thing I would do if it was mine was to either drive it and see how it goes; or pull them apart, clean and lube any areas that are subject to movement and reassemble. Surface rust is normal when they set. Often they are able to be resurrected.

I had the same problem with my '99 911 when I left it in the winter in a garage and the brakes felt grabby and the rotors were rusty. After driving it about 100 miles the problem went away and the rotors were fine. As long as you don't see serious oxidation all over the rotors you should be fine

C0nn0rg
If the wear indicator light is lit, the pads should be replaced. I might think about having the rotors measured, make sure they are within specs. Drive it for a few days and see what they look like.

Rivermikerat
Youll need to cut all rotors.

Cadieman
From my experience, that depends on how bad the rust is. That's why I said to drive it for a week and check them again. Don't replace the pads until the cut or don't cut decision has been made, though.

Rivermikerat
The rotors may not to be able to be cut. By the time they can get a course cut and fine cut. The rotor may be to thin. The rotor will need to replaced. Rotors that mic out to thin will need to be replaced.

Cadieman
Well, yeah. That's basically exactly what I said. This rust isn't bad. I obviously can't tell just by looking if the rotors are within spec. And my post said to see whether or not they were within specs.

Rivermikerat
So where all togeather than.I say if u ride those rotors u will have a loss in braking ability just keep that in mind.

Cadieman