CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2003 Pontiac Vibe

Computer problem
2003 Pontiac Vibe 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

My check engine light came on and we checked it at home with a diagnostic tool. The code that we received was " catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1". I took it to a mechanic and they told me that I needed a new Power Control Module because there was no communication with their scanner. They also told me I need a new catalytic converter. The only problems that I have experienced with my car is that the check engine light is on. It seems to run just fine. I can't figure out how we were able to get a reading on our diagnostic tool at home and they were not able to at the dealership. If my power control module and catalytic converter were both bad, wouldn't I be experiencing some sort of car problems?
Sedaly

That is odd yours worked and theirs didnt. Try clearing the light with your scan tool, then drive it to see if it comes back with the same code. That code usually is a sign of needing a new cat converter

Jack42