POWER DOOR LOCK ON REAR DOOR - 97

1997 Pontiac Transport

The rear power door lock will not work. You can hear the relay tripping but unable to open door with rear door latch/handle.
How do I find the fuse for rear door lock or How can I disconnect this lock. Also, cannot open with key. Unable to insert key due to lack of use with key.
What else can I do to diable the power lock.
Mediapro

Try spraying some lubricant around/on the strut and strut spring, also the strut mounts and any bushing you see. I wouldn't worry about it being dangerous, just annoying.

Bootdog
You can remove the plastic cover off the tailgate, to gain access to the lock, and you can unplug the solenoid that controls it. However you will compromise the abilty to unlock it without a key, so you could end up unable to open the tailgate in the event your key won't work.
I took apart my lock, and you can take it all the way down to removing the lock cylinder, and if you buy a container of jewlery cleaner, such as you find at a local department store, and soak the cylinder in it, to remove all the corrosion, then oil it with 3-1 oil, you might restore it back to life. Periodlically spray it with such as WD-40 or 3-1 oil and use the key and it will work.

My 97 transport also has a problem with the lever that opens it from the outside, and I cannot find other than to drill it out, as I tried to remove it and broke off one of the bolts and gave up on it. They seem to develop corrosion problems. I suppose someday I may try to drill it out, and then soak that part in parts cleaner or jewlery cleaner. As of now, I end up having to push the handle in before closing the gate.

Kb42
Thanks for your advice. I think I'll try drilling out the screws of the handle because the rear door won't open to gain access to the back panel. Thanks!

My 97 transport also has a problem with the lever that opens it from the outside, and I cannot find other than to drill it out, as I tried to remove it and broke off one of the bolts and gave up on it. They seem to develop corrosion problems. I suppose someday I may try to drill it out, and then soak that part in parts cleaner or jewlery cleaner. As of now, I end up having to push the handle in before closing the gate.[/Quote: 981b4a5834]

Mediapro