97 2.2 OVERHEATING

1997 Pontiac Sunfire

After driving a short distance 5-10 miles the car starts to overheat with coolant boiling out through the overflow tank. I've changed the thermostat with same result. I reviewed the haynes manual and it said if water is leaking through the weep hole on the water pump it is defective. If it is not bad what else could be wrong why it is doing it.
Easyrider05

Could be a bad radiator cap/clogged-up radiator/water pump/collapsed hoses/combustion leakage/air lock. Try below tests.

Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: Thermostat, Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump.

BLEEDING COOLING SYSTEM

Always bleed air from cooling system after replacing coolant. Set heater for maximum heat. Remove radiator cap. Loosen drain plug and remove drain bolt (if equipped) from engine block. Drain coolant reservoir. Fill coolant reservoir to MAX mark with 50/50 water-coolant mixture. Loosen bleed bolt and fill radiator up to base of filler neck. Close bleed bolt when coolant flows out without bubbles. Tighten bleed bolt. With radiator cap removed, start and operate engine to normal operating temperature. Add coolant if necessary and check for leaks.