96 STARTING PROBLEM

1996 Pontiac Sunfire

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I have a 96 pontiac sunfire, 2.2 L engine with 110,000 miles. It will start up perfectly fine from a cold state, but doesn't like to start when the engine is warm. This has been going on for about a year and is continually getting worse.

When I try to start the engine while warm, it will turn over normally but it won't fire. When the car does eventually fire, the engine will catch, shudder and chug as if it is not getting enough gas. Then the car will jerk and stall out.

If I press the gas pedal when the engine fires, I can push through the chugging, stuttering stage and the engine will stay running but the idle will be very rough.

If I let the car sit for couple hours after it was warmed up, (so the engine is cool again) it will start up normally.

I have had new plugs and wires installed.
Fuel pump tested o.K.
Fuel Filter replaced.
Crank shaft sensor replaced.
I had the entire fuel system and spark plugs thouroughly cleaned.
No sensor lights are on.

I have invested over $1000 in the car and it still has this problem. Does anyone know what is going on? I would really appreciate any input as I am really not in a situation where I can afford to buy a new car.

Thanks so much!

-Kelly
Bauekel

Kelly: Make sure there are no vacuum leaks and check the EGR valve to make sure it isn' stuck.

Let me know what you find.