92 OVERHEATING

1992 Pontiac Sunbird

I just bought a 92 sunbird with a 2.0 and about 200,000kms and the previous owner said that the rad is clogged and cause the car to overheat
well I have let the car run for awhile and the rad does not appear to be clog and everything seems to be flowing through fine but after about 45 minutes of idling the temp guage was just above half and the rad fan had not kicked in yet, on theese cars is it a little higher than half before they kick in or should it of kicked in by half. I unplugged the temp sensor and the fan worked that way.
any ideas?
thanks
Kyle712

I belive it should kick on before half half sometimes a little over, but as long as it doesnt overheat theres nothign to worry about, if it doesnt kick on even if the guage is up 3/4 of the way check the coolant temp sending unit.

Blackop555
Ok I will let it run a little longer and see what happens, but it the temp guage is working fine and the fan turns on when I unplug the temp sensor, wouldn't that mean that sensor is working or could there still be a problem with it?

Kyle712
It either means the sensor is not sending the proper temp or the coolant temp sending unit is not receiving or sending the proper temp to the pcm to tell hte fans to turn on.

Blackop555