CHARGING SYSTEM

1991 Pontiac Sunbird

1991 Pontiac Sunbird 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 182561 miles

Hi I want to thank you in advance for your help with my problem as I can't afford to take my car to a mechanic with limited income.
My problem is that my car has went thru 4 rebuilt
alternators since Jan.12th, 2008 till April 27th,2008.
I had the battery tested and the result was good. and clean all connections (alt. & battery) Alt. harness Connector & power lead wire ok Bat. terminals ok also tested under load the 4th Alternator in car before it went result was ok then alt. gauge dropped again. 10 km after drop alt. started charging again and then quit. Please help as I'm in the dog house at work due to my car problem. Thankyou for your time and this website as it helps
low income people like me save money.
yours truly
Don

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/184260_Jul27011_1.jpg

Engine Don

Sounds like your problem is a faulty fusible link at the starter motor. Down at the starter there are orange rubbery wires going to the big stud. Lightly pull on these wires and see if one breaks inside the insulation. This is most likely where your problem lies.

Mastertechtim