HARD START WHEN WARM AND WILL CUT OFF

1984 Pontiac Sunbird

1984 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 86000 miles

I hope someone can help. My husband and I are at wits in with my daughters 84 Pontiac J2000. 4 cyl. 1.8 L with OHC and fuel injected carb.

We bought this car for her in Feb. No problems during the cooler months. As the weather warmed we began experiencing more and more problems.
The car will start fine cold. She drives approximately 7-10 miles which brings the car to normal operating temperature. If she stops anywhere and lets the car sit, it will not start when she gets ready to leave. Sometimes it will start up immediately but then die. Then, it'll just turn over. After trying over and over for 15-20 minutes it will usually then start, race for a few minutes, then settle back down. She's then good till she gets to her next destination and has to go back through it all over again.
Here recently (the last 2 times she drove it) The battery became week while trying to get it to start and she had to stop trying or risk damaging her starter. Thus, I had to hook up jumper cables. By that time it starts right up (until she stops again)
Now, She's scared to drive it anywhwere.

We have replaced the fuel filter so far and I know it has a new tank and pump.
My husband also suspected vapor lock and applied wooden clothes pins to the fuel line going to the carb to dissipate heat. Neither helped.

I hope I've made sense with the explanation.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Angela
Acardwell

It sounds like the promble I had. Check the ground wire going to the fuel pump. Mine was green and loose. It mounded by the front seat bolt.I hope this helps you.

Revkeith