CAR DIES WHEN AT AN INCLINE

2005 Pontiac Montana

2005 Pontiac Montana 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

This started a few weeks ago, I had a half tank of gas in my car. I was parked downhill waiting for my son's bus, the gas hand went to E and the car died. I had to roll the car to flat ground before it would start. Then today I was parked at a slight incline downhill and it died again. The gas hand goes wacky on me, it goes up then down, it doesn't really stay steady. Now I realize the hand will go up if on a uphill incline and vice versa for going down on downhill incline. But this things goes up and down even when driving on the highway. Sometimes accelerating will lag then lurch forward like a backfire or like transmission jumping into gear.
Jdoxakis

Did you find out anything about this. I can't see the answer on this page. But I think if you post it I can see it. I have same problem with my van right now and four kids I need to be able to drive safely to places.

Shanke123
My brother said it was the fuel sending unit inside the gas tank. My gas hand goes wacko sometimes and says I have less gas than I actually do. There have been times the gas hand said I had gas and I ran out of gas. The part runs from $40 -$70.

Jdoxakis