WON'T START.

2001 Pontiac Montana

2001 Pontiac Montana 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 149, 00 miles

Hi everyone, well I am having more trouble with this Montana again. Started out yesterday when my passenger side window wouldn't go up. So my brother was going to bypass the switch and put it up to at least keep the rain out. Well that didn't work and after he did it now the car won't start at all. When you try to start it the security light comes on. All accesories, etc. Work fine. I have tried the 10 minute reset of the theft system but it didn't work. The battery is fully charged. The dealer said I would have to bring it in to have it reset, but I am not even sure if this is it. We live a long way from the dealer and will have to pay $259 dollars in just towing charges. I just cant afford it. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I checked all the fuses and they are fine. I even pulled the fuse for the theft protection system and tried to start it that way but it didn't work. Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Lisa

Another thing I noticed is that the fuel ghauge reads empty and the low fuel light is on leading me to think this may be the security thing.
Truenatureschild67

Just to be sure this is THE method you tried on the passkey relearn?

Have you done a relearn on the pass-key?
GM PASS LOCK RELEARN- Ignition to " run" position, try to start and let key return to " run" position
Approx ten minutes security light will go off
Turn key " off" and wait 5 seconds
Repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 relearns.
Turn key off, then start it.
The only other thing is, what exactly did brother do to bypass the window switch?

Merlin2021
Yes that is the relearn technique I used as directed by the GM tech.

My brother removed the switch, took two " jump wires" just regular pieces of electric wire, and put the ends into the different inputs on the thing the switch plugs into. (Right now I am ready to kill him).

Lisa

Another thing I noticed is that the security light never goes out even after the 10 minutes.

Truenatureschild67
First thing to try is checking ALL fuses, in the car and under the hood, theres at least a 50/50 chance he fried one or two. Then if you find any, do the relearn again. The switch is now back in plce and plugged into the connector? Jumper wire removed?

Merlin2021
I checked all the fuses in the car and under the hood and they all looked good. Yeah the switch is back in place now. I'm starting to think maybe he fried a fusible link. But would this cause the fuel gauge to read zero and the low fuel light to keep coming on? UGH. Thanks so much for your help.

Lisa

Truenatureschild67
 SECURITY Indicator Illuminated - Engine Does Not Start Theft deterrent control module or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected a problem with theft deterrent system. Theft deterrent control module is unable to measure ignition key transponder value. Theft deterrent system is in learn mode.
He fried something for sure, try removing the battery negative cable for half hour, then do the relearn again, if it doesnt work, you may need a GM dealer to install a new module. Have you tried using the Black key in the drivers door? Hold it in unlock for a few seconds until the door chime chimes 1 time, then see if the security light will go out. Check email I will send more info on security system.

Merlin2021
Thanks. Yes I tried the key from the door. Is this a really expensive fix do ya know?

Thanks for all your help.

Lisa

Truenatureschild67
GM will charge about 300.00 for a new BCM, but a scan with a GM techII scanner is needed. And recommended before parts replacement.

Merlin2021