ROARING SOUND FROM THE RIGHT FRONT WHE

2001 Pontiac Montana

Steering problem
2001 Pontiac Montana 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

MastertechTim just got me on the right track with the fuel problem that I had now that is taken care of I have developed a new problem. After fixing the fuel leak I drove it around to check and there is a roaring or rubbing metal to metal sound coming from the right front I think. I''ve had cv joints to go out before but they always make a clunk clunk sound. This is more like a rub rub rubing sound. Hope this makes sense.
Disisjc

Sounds like your hub and bearing is bad. Inexpensive part and real easy to change. The bearing comes all together as a unit from your parts store

Mastertechtim
Tim is there some way of checking or just get the parts and replace?
J.C.

Disisjc
Jack up front end and move wheel up and down and see if it moves. Most of the time it will not move and turning the wheel by hand will not produce the noise. I can tell by driving it only. And sometimes I cant determine if it is left or right if the noise is not that loud. But if it is loud from one side you have to take a educated guess and replace the hub.

Mastertechtim
Ok replace the hub and that fixed the real loud metal to metal sound but now have noise more like a whine. Thought it might be the tires so had them rotated but didn't help. Could the drivers side hub be bad also and not make the metallic sound like the passengers side?

Disisjc
YES IT CAN. You probably did not hear it over the real loud other side.

Mastertechtim
Jim,
I will get the left hub and put it on. I would love to give you feedback but until I get at least 1 point I am not able to. I have tried and tried to no avail. As soon as I can I will

Disisjc
Replace the left hub and now there is just tire noise.
Thanks for all your help.

Disisjc
Was it easy to change the hub/bearing? Did you need a special tool to remove the hub assembly?

HoHoHo
Was it easy to change the hub/bearing? Did you need a special tool to remove the hub assembly?[/Quote: a58b695884]
Ho it was very easy. I bought the hubs at advance auto and got the loner socket that fits the nut that holds the hub on and then it was a piece of cake to do.

Disisjc
I replaced my left hub, took about 1.5 hrs in my garage. It's not hard to do, just need the right tools. Need a 34mm socket to take off the hub nut. Need a long wrench to free the nut. And then take off the 3 bolts behind the hub. I have a hub puller which really helped in pushing the spindle in. Then just do the reverse and put everything back together. No more noise from the front. I had to guess whether it was left side or right side and I picked left. Good guess.

HoHoHo