HEAD GASKET REPAIR COST RANGE

Pontiac Grand Prix

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 3.8L V-6 S.C. Blown Head Gasket.

I was just wondering what an average replacement cost range would be for a Head Gasket replacement would be from an auto repair service center would be for the vehicle listed above. Also, how much labor actually goes into fixing the blown gasket?

Thanks in Advance!
S4MUS

2car pro guys = many guys that rock!

What are your symptoms, my guess is an intake manifold problem.

A head gasket job is probably $1500 or better.

I have white smoke pouring out the exhaust and then it finally quits after driving it for a little while. I read the code with my pocket scanner and it says Misfire Cylinder 5. I have since then replaced the coils, ignition control modulator, plug wires, and the plugs. When you first start the vehicle the smoke occurs out the exhaust and then it acts like it wants to stall and it doesn't. When you first start taking off during the first gear it runs shuttery and then it's like something catches and you just take off like a bat outta hell until you hit third gear transition in the automatic transmission. So roughly 25-30 MPH it runs fine. I had the transmission serviced at a GM Dealership nearby and they didn't mention anything out of the ordinary. I had an ASE certified mechanic that happens to also be my Uncle look at the transmission and he said it's operating within normal capacities. I'm pretty sure it's a head gasket since I've had one go out on me before in a 93 Mits Eclipse. Yet that Eclipse wouldn't smoke, I think that would have to be b/c it was a 4 cylinder though. This thing smokes so bad that it did some good though. It killed all the mosquitoes outside the house, lol, any further tips would be great.

Thanks!

S4MUS
I'm not saying that you may not have a head gasket issue.I just see so few of these compared to the intake manifolds that go bad and have the same symptoms.

These plastic manifolds were a poor design that the pressure of the coolant errodes the manifold.

Understand that driving like this is going to end up in a hydrolic lock as the cylinder will fill up with coolant and we know that you can not compress liquid.

OF course, I'm not an ASE cert. Tech : wink:

So what did uncle ASE has to say about the mosquito chaser-he should know he's certifed-

I agree with my associate car doctor SW- you're burning coolant, pressurize the system it will come out where its not suppose to.

Coolant Leakage: Sometimes they show up when its cold and sometimes they show when its hot

It has been sitting for about 2 months now, I haven't driven since I drove it home from Tuffy Auto service center when I had the radiator flushed. The car didn't have this problem until after I took it to those weasels. I paid them $690 for a flush, a wheel bearing replacement, a tie rod, and an alignment. Now the car drives straighter than it did, but, never the less it blew a head gasket. I don't know if it was from the previous owner mixing the green and red anti-freeze, and then they just finished it off. How would I go about finding if they did cause it to blow? And what steps should be taken in correcting their mistake?

Thanks again!

S4MUS
That's what happens when a deal is As is-its in your hands now-my advised to you is get that coolant out of the engine or its gonna lock up on you and you can forget about the gasket.

Honestly my friend your in heap of trouble here, I feel bad for you. Check with uncle ASE for some pointers and get back with us, we're here 24/7 right now am doing the night watch and be gone the next 1/2 hr.

I drained the coolant from the radiator and the block of the motor which was no easy task. I also am in the process of draining the oil since it has anti-freeze in it. Now I just don't know what to do next other than let it sit until I can afford to take it to the shop. I would take it back to my Uncle and have him fix it but, his shop is located in Miami, FL and I am in Michigan about 20 Hours drive away and I am low on funds. I do have a buyer for the car though that is wanting to have it fixed and take over the payments on it. After it's fixed they said they would come and take it off my hands. They'll be paying for the repairs and then coming by bus to get the vehicle.

S4MUS
Mixing the two coolants will only reduce the life of the coolant to the lowest life yield.

The coolant flush may have pushed a weak spot over the edge, I wouldn't hold that against the shop though. Still it needs to be pressure tested and I am still thinking intake problem.

If I were you, I'd pull off the upper intake manifold and you will probably find coolant laying up in there.

Pulled and drained about 2 quarts from there.

Thanks again!

S4MUS
Just as a word of caution, It doesn't mean head gaskets are necessarily good, but unlikely. You will need to replace the whole upper intake, not the gasket.

Page 1 of 3