OVERHEATING

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

in regards to last post about my over heating 3100 grand prix, I wanted to note that this is not a slow process. As soon as I start the car it begins to jump to overheating temps. I dont know if thats is too fast for a gasket issue or if I just missed a step in all the installs. Thank you
Mmgrandprix

Not sure what the full story is but if the gauge goes to HOT almost instantly than the engine is not actually overheating, it will take a few minutes for the engine to overheat, an inaccurate temp gauge is caused by a faulty engine coolant temp. (ECT) sensor most of the time.

Bluelightnin6
You say it might be the temp sensor wiring or sensor its self. The inst. Cluster in the vehicle also shows a full tank of gas all the time. When I put the key on acc the tack of the fuel level will quickly show the amount of gas in the vehicle. When I start the car it will shoot to full. Could the temp gauge also be screwing with me and I did this for nothing. Not for nothing, I know, I feel safer with everything being replaced in this car. Could the instrument cluster be faulty. Its not mis reading my rps or mph. ? I took the cluster out of the car and some one removed the " check engine light" bulb from out of the back of it. SOB'z. If this helps, there is a good amount of dex cool on the pump side, but theres none on the thermo side.

Mmgrandprix
Did you install a new bulb while you had cluster out? If so, does the engine light come on and did you try to pull trouble codes? That could lead straight to the culprit.

Bluelightnin6
I did put a bulb in it, and yes the light was on. I have not ran a code to it. I have now replaced the temp sensor. It runs at lower temps but not where it should. I did notice that now my cooling fans were not turning on. I checked all the relays and they were good. I pulled the fans out of the engine bay and checked with a 12 v current. They both kicked on indivisdually. The fans work when they are out but not with the cooling system.

Mmgrandprix
Pulling the stored code(s) should pinpoint the culprit, it could be blow fuse or even the PCM at fault that is not letting the fans run

Bluelightnin6