EGR VALVE

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 119000 miles

ok I turn on my car sometimes and my car does not idle right the idle jumps around and then when I hit the gas then idle levels off and evrything is off. Sometimes the car is hard to start and ideling is rough.
My check engine light came on and code said egr valve stuck open.
Bigpimpin5o

Is this 3.1 or 3.8? When the EGR stays open due to carbon it dilutes the A/F mix causing it to idle erratically.

You think I should change it cause I tried to clean it and I changed the gasket and still samne thing

Bigpimpin5o
You can try to clean it with a small amount of carb cleaner, but I highly suggest replacing the egr valve.

Rhall77
When at idle and EGR disconnected does it idle okay-if you replace it and it continues-check the wiring and the PCM.

I have the same problem with my car. Its a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. I disconnected the EGR after the car was started and it did not help anything. Does this still mean it could be the EGR?

Empirecrzy241