BROKEN SWAY BAR...

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix

Suspension problem
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

The front passenger sway bar on my has broken. I am not in the best spot financially to fix this for a couple weeks anyways- my spouse is out of work right now. Is it ok to drive for the time being until I can afford to fix it- if I take it easy on corners and bumps? It seems to be driving fine, you just notice the break when you go over bumps.

Thanks a lot.
MsMia

Drive it slow and avoid any hard cornering, but remember, you may be put in a situation where you have to swerve (animal, tree limb), so get this repaired ASAP, try a junkyard for parts.

Mmprince4000
What can happen if I swerve hard right now? As well, there is a wreckers in town- do I just ask for a sway bar or is there a joint/connection that goes with it? Thanks very much!

MsMia
What can happen if I swerve hard right now? As well, there is a wreckers in town- do I just ask for a sway bar or is there a joint/connection that goes with it? Thanks very much![/Quote: 49bf51eb15]

I think I may have found one at a wreckers- is it ok to use a sway bar from a Grand Prix that is a year older than mine? Thanks again!

MsMia
As long as it is same size (diameter) and shape.

Sway bar that is broken can cause excessive wheel travel in turns and loss of traction.

Sway bar bolts to businhgs on body and to sway bar end links on control arm.

Mmprince4000