FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING INSTALLAT

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

Suspension problem
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

In which direction is the front bushing installed. The current (front mount) control arm bushings were put in two different ways.
This is a verticle mount bushing (both sides). The control arm is an eye-let in which the bushing must be pressed into (either up or down). The bushing is a rubber mount with a metal sleeve that must be pressed onto the control arm. One side of the sleeve has an overlap that rests against the control arm after being pushed into it. When installed, the overlap can be either on the up-side or down-side of the control arm which, I think, keeps the control arm from slipping (up or down), unless the pressure of the sleeve into the eye-let is enough to keep it from moving up or down.
Since the weight of the body rests on the control arm, it makes sense that the overlap is on the up-side of the control arm, keeping the control arm from slipping up on the bushing and against the housing of the mount. Seems reasonable, right. However the side that does not need to be replaced is opposite my logic. Is it just a coincidence that the side that is still in position is pushed on from the bottom, and is still working? Does the direction matter?
Kbon

The overlap should be on top. The front control arm bushing on a 2000 Grand Prix needs to be aligned a particular way when installed due to it's design. GM states this in their manual for this car but doesn't make it very clear in their description and picture. Do you know what the correct installation alignment is?

Mcferrance
I have figured this out. The bushing is originally installed from the bottom of the driver's side and the top of the passenger side control arms. The pictured shown above shows marking the flat spot before removing the bushing but it shows it in the wrong place. The picture I have attached is the one in GM's manual and correctly shows where the flat should be which basically aligns the solid part of the bushing in direct relation to the angle that the balljoint is from it. This makes sense with its effect on handling and the whole geometry of the front suspension.

Mcferrance