ABS LIGHT?

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix

Brakes problem
1996 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 153000 miles

my ABS light came on about 1 year ago and my machanic said it was a wheel sensor but I didnt want to replace it so he said it was ok to drive the car that way I just wouldnt have ABS brakes. And now that we got snow the ABS light is off when I start the car and when I go forward the lo trac light comes on for a second then the ABS light comes on and stays on so I pulled the fuse for that and havent had any trouble is it ok for me to drive the car without ABS brakes and will it wear the pads faster. The Main brake light has never come on at all during the past year the ABS light has been on. Ty for your imput
Cherbear081

Hi there,

You will not wear pads any faster, the ABS only works in panic stops (when you lock a brake up) the ABS sensors the wheel not moving and dumps brake pressure to that wheel so it will start to turn, you can not turn is a skid, so this is a method to give you steering and safety in panic braking, I would get it fixed if you will be driving in icy conditions.

Mhpautos