OVERHEATING ENGINE

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 159000 miles

For about a week my car was running very poorly. I knew I had a misfire and some days it would not start without a jump from another car. I was driving it home from work and the low coolant light came on. I stopped at a local auto-parts store and thew abput 2l of coolant in the reserve tank and drove it home. The next day the car would not start so I got a jump from another car and I drove it about a half a mile and the temperature shot up to 125 degrees. I pulled into a parking lot and as soon as the car started to idle the themostat dropped down to aboyt 100 degrees which is where it normally runs at. I took it to my mechanic and he informed be the " Center Dome" seal on the engine is gone (what he describes is something close to the head gasket). From what he tells me it could cost me close to 800 dollars to repair. Now this does not make sense to me as I had to replace a head gasket on 3 cars and it never cost me more than 450 dollars. My question is this: Do you think it is this " Center Dome" and is ti worth 800 dollars to be fixed or am I getting ripped off.
Spudwiser

If he's refering it as the intake manifold gasket tell him to prove it. Are you getting white smoke out of the exhaust tail pipe?

No he's didnt but funny you should mention the intake because that is what I thought first. I ran the issue by a friend of mine and he said it sounded like the " plexus"? What ever that is? I didnt have white smoke that I saw but I never had exhaust come up to the trunk area of the car so that it was visable through the rear windsheild but I did notice it on that day.

About 3 days before it went all crazy on me I didnt notice an odd hiss when I would accelerate and the day I brought it to the mechanic I noticed the his was coming from the bottom somewhere near the drivers side. I checked the radiator and hoses for a hole and had no luck.

If it was the intake manifold what would I be looking at to fix the problem? Oh and it is a 159000 KMs not miles

Spudwiser
Its called upper and lower plenum- Your looking at about 3hrs of labor and cost of part-unavailable-Labor/Parts varies with location labor could be between $70-130.00 per hr-Shop around

Ok I ended up finding some more info so I should not be looking at 800 dollars worth the labour. He is telling me that it is 8 hours worth the labour to replace and it needs a new seal.

Spudwiser