STEERING WHEEL WON'T TURN

Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am with 108,000 miles on it and whenever the temperature dips below freezing in the winter, I have a very difficult time trying to turnthe steering wheel. I let the car run for about ten minutes and after fighting with the wheel and trying to get it turn easily, the wheel finally loosens up and the car runs fine after that. Is this because of a lack of power steering fluid?
Danno_mn

Sounds more like the rack and pinion. They get sticky when they are going out

Jack42
My 1996 Grand am is starting to do this again on cooler mornings as well. I had a new rack put on two weeks ago. I guess I will try a new powering steering pump next. I think mine is the pump without variable assist. I can't figure out why it does this. You cant even turn it. It's as if it's locked up, but step on the accelerator pedal real quickly and it will usually unlock it. I can't imagine it being anything else besides the pump, unless the new rack was defective.

Bluffhunter