POOR FUEL MILEAGE

Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand AM, mileage: 1132929.
I am experiancing poor fuel mileage, I looked it up in the Chilton's repair manual and al it said was to tune the car up. I have done this, but am still having poor MPG.(Actually no change). Is there an sensor going bad and if so where is it located?
Darkside

I suggest you try some fuel injection cleaner or engine cleaner and fill up once or twice a month on a higher grade gas. You can buy the fuel injection cleaner and such at your local auto parts store and pour it into the gas tank on an almost empty tank. Is your check engine light on?

Lsussel
1997 Ponitac Grand AM mileage 1132929,
I will try some injector cleaner, and no the check engine light is not on.

Darkside
If you have anyway to check the sensors. Do it. Also clean the Mass air flow sensor because they get all grimy and don't read right. Also if you unplug the battery for 40 second and restart it, it will run rough if it has keep alive signals on that you wouldn't feel normally. The thing is Engine Coolant temp sensors stuck on 180 and Intake air temp sensors stuck at 80 will cause you to run rich but won't set codes.

Canvis69@yahoo.com