92 WON'T START

1992 Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 92 Grand Am with 120,000 miles. It stopped one day so I replaced the control module and checked the coils. It ran after that. Then it started acting up again not wanting to idle and would die when in drive. I took it to a mechanic and he said that it was the crank sensor. He replaced it and said that it was still acting up to take it home and drive it. I drove it for a week with no problems.I turned it over to my son and he drove it for 2 days and it died completly. It cranks over but will not start. Mechanic also tried to replace the computer and prom and that didn't work either. He said that my car had the wrong computer for that car because when he changed the prom, the car wouldn't start. When he put the old one back in, it started untill it died of course. Any ideas?
Regarcia96

Maybe his prom didn't match your PCM and your car. And it would still probably run (Like crud though) if the prom was faulty. It most likely is a fault in the hard line rom memory of the pcm itself. Changing the whole pcm should of fixed any computer problems but if that doesn't fix it it is a sensor/actuator/modulator problem

Canvis69@yahoo.com
Thanks for that info Canvis69. It took me a while but it turns out that my son had ran over some debris on the road and part of it came up under the car which pulled the wires out enough that they weren't making contact to the crankshaft sensor. Car runs fine now. Thanks again.

Regarcia96