OVERHEATING

2003 Pontiac Grand Am

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 108921 miles

Hi, I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am V6 3.4 I found a puddle of anti freeze under it last week after driving home from work. I took it in to my mechanic the next morning and they had it for 5 days trying to figure out what is wrong with it. According to them its not leaking anti freeze, it is boiling out from the engine being too hot. They changed the thermostat, cooling sensor, radiator and checked the water pump, it is still overheating. Yesterday they call me and tell me it has to be the main computer in the engine, they got the new(used) computer but could not program it to my car specs because they do not have the software. So basically they told me to come pick up my car because theres nothing else they can do. Can anyone help with this? Thank you very much
Windycitylinda

When you first saw the coolant, where (aprox) was it located in relation to the engine compartment? Did you notice the temp gauge going high? Any lights come on?

Let me know. My concern isn't dealing with the computer but rather a bad head gasket or a leaking water pump.

Hi Joe, Unfortunately I notiiced it in a store parking lot that was on a down slope so the puddle was actually behind the car. I think it was from between the front of the car and the middle of the engine. The temp gage went up to a little over the half way mark after the antifreeze leaked out. No dashboard lights came on at all.
My mechanic said there are no leaks anywhere and it boiled out of the overflow tank.
Thank you!

Windycitylinda
They have me confused. Did they explaine why the computer needed replaced? Is the cooling fan coming on? Before it overheats, does it run good?

Hi, They said that the computer works the fan. It is running a little rough. I took it to a new place and they are telling me its the head gasket. Can you tell me the average charge to replace the head gaskets so I know if they are trying to rip me off. I live in Chicago Illinois if that makes a difference. My husband always took care of the car maintenance, he died unexpectedly two months ago and I just feel like everyone is taking advantage of me being a woman and not really knowing what they are talking about. I appreciate your help. Thank you very much!

Windycitylinda
The book calls for 11.6 hours labor and parts will be around 150.00. The labor is going to kill you on this one. Are they sure it is a head gasket?

They said they are 100% sure it is the head gasket and are charging me 1100.00

Windycitylinda
Yes, it could be a head gasket, but I was concerned because there are many other things that it could have come from. Make sure they put the warranty in writing.

Let me know how things work out for you.

Thank you very much, I will let you know.

Windycitylinda
Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.