BRAKE LIGHT ON

2003 Pontiac Grand Am

Brakes problem
2003 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

The brake light comes on after driving the car for about 15 min. The ABS lights have been on for a while now but just attributed it to bad sensors in the wheel baring. The parking brake holds on a hill and there is around 1/8 inch pad on the parking brake lining (4 wheel disk). Both sides operating normally. Brake pads are fine all way around, fluid is fine and no visible signs of leakage anywhere. What could be the problem?
Scotw

I would go to autozone or another major parts store that will hook up a scan tool for no charge and have them pull the codes and see what they come up with. Then post on here.

Other than that I would make sure the brake fluid is full and try wiggling the brake fluid level sensor on the master cylinder and have someone watch and see if the light flickers or goes out.

Bildo76
Also: The daytime running lights are off when the car is in park and when it is put into drive the daytime lights come on.

Scotw
Do the daytime running lights stay on at night when it is in park? I have a 2002 blazer and during daylight and dusk hours the daytime running lights operate this way. They stay on in drive and go out when its put in park, but at dark hours in park they stay on until the ignition is shut off.

Some models will shut the daytime running lights off it the emergency brake is pulled even a little bit. So make sure the emergency brake is completly disengaged. If it is not completely disengaged this would explain the brake light and the daytime running lights.

Please repost with any new information

Bildo76
The lights operate automatically at night so they are always on whether it is in park or drive. The light issue has become intermittent as it was working fine yesterday. The e-brake has always been confirmed down. I have even removed the console to ensure the switch is ok. I have also put an obd2 reader on it and there are no codes on the computer. I have not had a chance to wiggle the sensor to see if that is it. I will try that next.

Scotw
The brake light is off when the car is started. It does not come on for a while after driving, sometimes a few minutes. Sometimes 30 minutes. Not consistent. Once came on while stopped for a while at an intersection. I wiggled the sensor but the light was off at the time so it had no affect. I will have to check it after it comes on. Wife's car though! I will have to take it for a spin on the weekend.

Any other thoughts?

Scotw
The repair can be costly if in the front. I just replaced my front hubs/bearing assembly in my '99 grand am gt, this inlcudeds the ABS connctions which were corroded badly as well there are ABS sensors in the rear brakes which can be the root for your light turing on. Trust me when the ABS light is on, you do not have ABS control. Best to check your ABS connections try to clean them as much as possible and tightem them if they are lose. Daytime running lamps should only be on when the car is not in park during daylight hours. You are right, at night the head lights turn on automatically. You could try a new relay switch to see if they are working properly, (under the hood fuse box, beside the brake fluid container Lt side). There are 2 relay's which control daytime lamps andhead lights. I've removed one to not have daytime running lamps on however the service vehicle dash light turns on when doing so. Good luck.

Rainz
I checked the sensor at the fluid level sensor but it did not cause the light on the dash to flicker. The light stayed on.

Scotw
Check your connections at the wheels, chances are your ABS wiring is lose or corroded there.
Good luck

Rainz
Wiring harnesses was fine. I ended up replacing the hub and bearing assembly on both sides and that got rid of the problem. Dash no longer displays any trouble lights and the daytime running lights are working properly now.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Scotw
Good to hear, lots of work for a little problem.
If it happens again soon, like mine, it could be the brakes at the rear, I used almost a whole can of brake cleaner and made sure the caliper bolts were not sticking (to have even pressure), put it all back and have had no problems since.

Rainz