WON'T START

2001 Pontiac Grand Am

2001 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

When I turned the key it would just click once, so we took the starter out and went down and bought a new one. Put it in and the car is doing the same thing it just clicks, but when you turn the key as soon as the starter clicks all interior lights etc go off. Then come back on as the key is released. Any ideas to what might be causing this? I already checked the fuses.
Pontiac01

Could be the battery and connections, park and neutral positon switch and ignition switch

The battery connections are good, was just wondering if it was the park/neutral switch the starter wouldn't even try to engage would it? How would you test it or the ignition? Thanks

Pontiac01
Do this have helper hold key at start position

P/N switch is on left front top of transaxle-check power at yellow wire-no power here problem is coming the ignition switch. No power at the purple wire at starter solenoid-defective P/N switch