COOLANT FLUSH AND REFILL WITH BLEEDIN

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 138000 miles

It is about that time to do a coolant flush. But I did not find a drain hole to do a coolant flush on the radiator. Is there another method to do a cooling system flush like removing the upper or lower radiator hose and letting the engine run while adding fresh water at the coolant resevior and letting it drain. I heard that when refilling I should go threw a procedure and should bleed the system to prevent air pockets from forming and causing the engine to overheat. Any suggestions on how to a system coolant flush, and refill procedure. Thanks
Venkman

Hi there,

If you don't have a drain plug. Remove both radiator hoses, thermostat housing & thermostat, and one heater hose. Open heater tap (If Vacuum remove both hoses) & with low pressure flush heater core till it runs clean. Flush block & radiator till they run clean, fit a new thermostat re fit hoses & replace coolant. Run up to temp with heater open, check for leaks. And if OK you are done.

Mhpautos
Mhpautos.1. When you say " Run up to temp with heater open" do you mean heater turned on in the car or a heater hose open? 2. Flush block & radiator till they run clean. With the car running or off? 3. There is a bleeder valve on the cooling system, do I open that valve while refilling. With car running or off to remove air pockets. Instead of removing a heater hose?

Venkman
Hi there,

Don't run the engine while flushing, there is no reason to. When re filling the coolant open the bleeder and expel all air. With the coolant full, run the engine up with the heater open to help bleed any air for the heater core.

Mhpautos
Thank you very much. I will finsih it today! Mhpautos

Venkman