LOW TRAC INDICATOR

1999 Pontiac Grand Am

1999 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 265000 miles

The transmission was rebuilt last year. When starting out, the low trac light will come on. Sometimes it may do this a number of times, going off and on. At some point though the ABS light will come on, and stay on, and another low traction indicator light will come on and stay on until the car is restarted. During this time the anti-lock bracking system is disabled. It seems as if I can somewhat control this by how I drive the car, avoiding quick acceleration or avoiding bumps or hard turns. This started around the same time the right front wheel bearing was replaced too. The car feels as if it's slipping when this first happens. Once the other lights come on it drives great except for the fact you do not have the benefit of the ABS system.
Rockylindsey

Sounds like you may have a broken ABS ring on one of the axles, or a ABS sensor going bad. Do you have any way of retrieveing the codes from the ABS system?

Basstech
As basstech pointed out, you will have to get car scanned with a chassis scanner, ABS codes are " C" codes, and autoparts stores will only scan " P" powertrain codes.

Mmprince4000