DASH LIGHT AND ENGINE DIE WHEN STARTI

1999 Pontiac Grand Am

1999 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I just bought a battery and put in in today. The car starts fine when level but if you are parked on a hill the dash lights will flicker and go dead and at the same time the engine will flutter and shut off. I have to keep my foot on the gas and break to keep it running. Could I have a cracked cell? The battery was refurnished but doesn't show anything physically wrong.
TECH-1452

The symptoms do not point to a bad battery. It sounds like your fuel pump baffle is loose inside your tank. Its purpose is to stop the symptom you’re having: losing pressure because the vehicle is not level. A fuel pressure test needs to be performed with the vehicle sitting in this position, to start. Check with AutoZone if you do not have one, they often lend them out.

Please report back to this post with the pressure when the vehicle is both level and at an incline so we can figure this out.

Regards.

Knowyourauto