INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

1997 Pontiac Grand Am

1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

I have a 1997 Grand Am, I got in the other day and got about half way down my driveway and realized that my gauges weren't working (no speedometer, gas, etc.). All the gauges don't move off of zero. In addition every warning light in the instrument cluster is on. I have checked the fuses and they are all fine. What is wrong with my car?

Andy
Awoodson

Sounds like a possible bad cluster or bad ingnition switch. I would have the vehicle scanned to see if there is any trouble codes.

Rhall77
Could it be a bad body control module?

Awoodson
Im about 90% sure that does not have a body control module, but I could be wrong. I would still have it scanned.

Rhall77
OK. I'll do that, hopefully thats what it is as my fiance is driving my car right now and to be honest with you that worries me more than driving her's without a speedometer.

Awoodson
OK, now I have a whole new problem. I replaced the dash, that appears to have solved that problem as now the tach works when you go to start the car, the new problem is that the theft system is engaged and stalls the car after you turn it over and it starts for a second or two. How can I disengage this? I have tried disconnecting the battery and pulling the fuses for the ignition system. I have also allowed the vehicle to sit overnight thinking that it might have to reset itself, this didn't work either.

Awoodson
Try to start and then leave ignition key on until security light off
you have to leave the ignition in the ON position it may take 10 or so min
make sure you have a fully charged battery

Have an automotive repair question!
Sign up and ask your automotive question !
http://www.2carpros.com/affiliate/uid/bmrfixit_1_tlid_1

BMRFIXIT
Ok, I'll try that. I tried it last night and let it sit for 5 minutes or so and the light didn't stop blinking. Does it normally take 10 minutes?

Awoodson
The car is now running and the dash works. The theft system light is on though, should it be? Will it possibly go off after some time?

Awoodson
Where did you get a new cluster from because I can't find anything anywhere? How much did the new cluster cost?

Bconry06