REAR BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDER PROBLEM

1996 Pontiac Grand Am

I am trying to replace the wheel cylinder on the left, and am not able to remove it from the mounting plate. I removed the bolts, brake line, and bleeder valve, and the cylinder broke free from the plate, but wont fit through the hole. It seems like the lug studs are in the way and wont allow the cylinder to come out. Is there something I missed? Every repair book I've looked at says it should just come out no problems, but I spent over an hour trying to get it out. The Car has ~150k miles and has a 4 cylinder 2.3 L engine.
Jaredbelch

Have you tried removing the hub assembly?

Jack42
Here is what I posted in another forum. I really appreciate your help in attacking this problem.
" Thanks all for your help, after spending a total of 2 1/2 hours prying, scraping rust off, and twisting every which way I decided to go buy the rebuild kit and just go that route, 30 minutes later both sides were done and I felt much better as I bled the brakes and there were no leaks. To address all of your answers, the entire brake shoe assembly was removed, the bleeder valve was removed, and someone in another forum suggested I remove the hub assembly. I loosed the bolts on the hub assembly, but it would not separate from the backing plate, and I abandoned that route as well. But I really want to thank everyone for taking a minute or two to answer my question.&Quot;

Jaredbelch
There are some things that you have to shake your head at. Why in the world are cars designed so poorly? Often times yuou need to think outside the box as you did. Thanks for following up and posting your solution.